CivClassic claims as of December 2021, via CCMap
CivClassic, sometimes called CivClassics, was a Civ server largely inspired by the success of Civcraft, particularly Civcraft 2.0. Owned by TealNerd and moderated by an admin team of Maxopoly, LordOfMarzipan, Dsclouse and Iebagi, it brought back many staple mechanics of Civcraft that had been lost after the downfall of Civcraft.
CivClassic was made as a result of the disconnect that formed between the direction of Civ and the player base. TealNerd wanted to create a new Civ-style server to combine the best of all CivCraft iterations to that point, mostly taking from Civcraft 2.0 mechanics, but later creating new adaptations to the Civ genre to bring it to the current version of Minecraft.
The second iteration of CivClassic launched on 2 June 2017. To date, it is the longest running Civ server, having been active for over 1660 days.
CivClassic imported many various mechanics from Civcraft and other Civ-like predecessors.
- One of the most notable is that it brought back Citadel and its NameLayer, allowing players to reinforce and protect their stuff.
- FactoryMod allowed factories to mass produce different necessary items in the game.
- Various combat changes were implemented to make PvP similar to earlier iterations.
- JukeAlert enabled jukeboxes and note blocks to track movement through a certain area.
- PrisonPearl, and later ExilePearl, allowed players to deliver justice on their own terms.
- ItemExchange allowed for exchange between different items, effectively adding player-made shops.
- Realistic Biomes modified growth rate for crops in different biomes.
- HiddenOre & Orebfuscator changed the mining process to prevent x-ray as well as make it slightly more chance-based.
- Kira was a bot made by Maxopoly and was added in 2018 to relay messages from outside of game into the game.
- The map was a circle with a radius of 13,000 blocks, a size similar to Civcraft 2.0.
- Several non-vanilla biomes have been added[specify]. Many of these biomes have altitudes above y128 and sheer cliff faces. Biomes can also contain custom trees which are larger then vanilla. Blaze spawners can be found scattered around many biomes.
- Large caverns with flat dirt floors generate under many snow biomes.
- It is not possible to reach the Nether. However Nether biomes containing Nether materials and creatures can be found in oceans throughout the map. Though Nether fortresses will spawn in nether biomes, wither spawning is not restricted to nether fortresses. Water placement allowed in nether biomes.
- There are only three End portals[specify]. A public End portal can be found at 2300, 450
- The End world generation is also custom. Cobwebs and Lava can randomly spawn at the lower levels of the End[specify].
A player-created world map of the CivClassic world can be found here and was created by Gjum and maintained by the UMP. As this map relied on player input, some of the data may be inaccurate or out of date.
CivClassic was first launched as an alternative to Civcraft 3.0 on 23 July 2016. It was launched about one week prior to its competitor launching. TealNerd launched it due to friction between the Civcraft development team and the supposed views of the playerbase, intending to create the ultimate server with the best of all Civcraft iterations. However, the server went offline only 14 days later.
CivClassic 2.0 Beta
After Civcraft 3.0 went offline, TealNerd began working on a second iteration of CivClassic. He launched an AMA on December 17, 2016 outlining some of the details for the beta that would launch on December 28. The beta was intended to make balance changes and to make the server ready for release. The beta would head offline only a couple months later on roughly March 5, 2017.
History (CivClassic 2.0)
CivClassic's release date was announced on May 31st in an AMA. Admin policies and general gameplay style were reminiscent of Civcraft 2.0, but with a few modifications to make it up to date with the Minecraft version that was used at the time, 1.10.
CivClassic released on June 2nd, 2017. While CivClassic released while Devoted 3.0 and CivEx 3.0 were well into their iterations, CivClassic still held a player count for a long time, due to many groups resurfacing from prior iterations because of the familiar gameplay style. TealNerd didn't expect this level of popularity, and only four days in the server was moved over to a more stable server in Canada. The player created map, created by Gjum, was quickly created after swift contributions of map data.
Much of the server's largest claims in the server's first days were held by The Commonwealth, a spiritual continuation of Commonwealth (2.0), Westeros, a nation inspired by Game of Thrones and headed by ComradeNick, Impasse, a nation made up with most residents of Aquila, Hjaltland, an economic and military-oriented group made up of several veterans from 2.0, Lexington, led by Sintralin and company and Gensokyo, a Japan-themed nation dating back several iterations. Several balance and quality-of-life changes were rolled out through June 2017, targeting VPNs, factory processing times, and modifying some minor gameplay elements.
One of the first conflicts of the server was the Yoahtl-Laconia Wars. Growing from a dispute over resources from nearby Hjaltland, the war against Laconia began on July 4 and lasted three days with Laconia's victory.
The Somber War (Late 2017, Early 2018)The Commonwealth, Lexington, Hjaltland, and Mir, to name a few. All of these nations were returning from prior iterations, and arguably had cross-server grudges dating back to the Titan War in Civcraft 2.0. During the summer, Lexington launched a series of raids, using alternative accounts on Westminster, the Commonwealth's capital, and used it to further declare war. In the background, several controversial statements came from Lexington including End Claims and the Animal Farm conflict, as well as shenanigans with Hjaltland and Anguish, a supposed ally of Lexington which led to the famous group-stealing bot script..
Upon Lexington's declaration of war, they obbybombed Westminster in an attempt to further deter its citizens from fighting, only to get deleted once the admins discovered they falsified claims about an iron farm duping. They quickly pearled Lodish, jdcorral, and Peter5930, three citizens of the Commonwealth, the latter of which was a notorious council member of the Commonwealth and superfriend (or moderator) on the server.. In addition, they pearled MrLlamma, a citizen of Anguish that insided them to prevent war. The community was shocked and disappointed at the treatment of these pearls, in addition to two (albeit unfruitful) sieges on the castle in the End built by the now King, Peter5930. Due to this, much of the community rallied to Commonwealth and Hjaltland, who formed the Western Alliance along with Mir and Impasse. While they attempted to attack the vault and also successfully besieged the city, much of the winter was spent waiting for an opening and planning for a full-scale attack. During that time, Lexington offered conditions of surrender to Commonwealth but were never accepted.
A server update for 1.12 tweaked mechanics to the Western Alliance's favor, allowing them to take advantage of the planning they had taken the prior months. The war would eventually end as on April 6-8 of 2018, a large-scale operation was created to attack the Lexington Vault. The Fall of Lexington took over two days and eventually the vault was captured using new innovations to break the near-impenetrable vault. Most Lexington fighters were captured or pearled, and all pearled victims of Lexington were freed.
Peace & Regional Allies (Late 2018)Following the war, two major alliances emerged from those who were more ambivalent towards Lexington and those who adamantly opposed it. Much of the southwestern powers at the time, including the resurgence of Yoahtl, formed the SATO alliance who were more focused on economic security and growth. On the other side, with newer powers to the Northwest like the Holy Jaded Empire and Columbia, formed the rather similar named NATO alliance. The two powers engaged in a cold war of sorts with neither directly attacking the other until the Infinity War; preferring to take most conflicts in a buffer state between Commonwealth and the Holy Jaded Empire, in a new iteration of Mount Augusta.
This was generally supposed to be about the generally peaceful time between FRIENDS and SATO, and how conflict developed during that time.
Infinity War (2019-2020)
The Infinity War was the longest lasting war in CivClassics history and Civ history lasting from January 2019 to July 2020. The war started as a result of a series of events that happened in and around Mount Augustan territory. The war would begin on January 30th, but the events that led to the Infinity War's start were seen as early as January 4th, 2019. The first skirmishes of the war were the Siege of Pinekertown, the HJE Invasion of Rome, the First and Second Sieges of Sempiternal, the Sack of Hallow, and a few others. Later on the war would escalate and the Entente and Laconia would be pulled into the war resulting in the Entente-Laconia War. Eventually Mir would join in against Laconia thus escalating the already large scale NATO-Mir War even further. Annwyn, Columbia, and Valyria would reach an agreement with Mir successfully petitioning their government in order to reach peace.
The War of the Coalition would pop up in December of 2019 for two weeks against a country called Ransakistan an unrecognized country of Obby Bombers resulting in the war. Ransakistan was supported by both NATO and Corvus due to their ongoing war against several of the countries Obby bombed by Ransakistan. Ironically enough Columbia would join in this coalition against Ransakistan and would eventually join in the war against NATO as a result of joining the UDF. The escalation of the war would see the Fall of Mount Doom, the Fall of Corvus, the Battle of the Crucible, and the Siege of Columbia. The war would finally come to an end when Anti-NATO Forces would join up in a final offensive against whatever remained of NATO and it's lone allies. Hallow Vault would fall on June 27th, Vault 76 and the Holy Jaded Empire on July 18th, and finally the fall of the Litterbox.
The Long Peace (2020-2021)
During and directly after the Infinity War, CivClassic's player count dropped due to the resulting perma-pearlings, obby bombings, and general destruction brought about by the war, leading to the server population going generally inactive or moving to CivRealms. With the war at its end the player population would rebound.
Gosh I could go on for hours, add categories as necessary things become created
- ↑ https://ccmap.github.io/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Devoted/comments/4u5msd/introducing_a_new_server_civclassic/
- ↑ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Vhdz8mHaRapvxn0CyVvNuNv72CgK6QeY2UxbyG53Ak/edit#gid=0
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/4u5m0b/introducing_a_new_server_civclassic/
- ↑ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Vhdz8mHaRapvxn0CyVvNuNv72CgK6QeY2UxbyG53Ak/edit#gid=0
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/5ixgcu/civclassic_admin_ama/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/5xptfj/civclasic_bets_is_ending_soon/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6ej9zs/information_about_civclassic_20_and_ama/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6fk5lc/after_a_super_laborious_evening_actually_just/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6fxxe9/ccmapgithubio/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6franr/commonwealth_claims_in/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6f77nw/westeros_claims/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6lenjy/rapid_progress_being_made_in_impasse/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6f3jkc/lexington_claims/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6flrhz/the_heavenly_kingdom_of_gensokyos_territorial/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6grsqu/morning_changelog_for_6122017/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6i61jw/changlog_for_6192017/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6jk71x/changelog_for_6262017/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/6k7dye/changelog_for_6292017/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/8aqgyv/the_war_from_my_perspective_a_long_post_for_a/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/755nes/lexington_declares_war_on_hjaltland_commonwealth/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/71vj2m/a_thought_experiment_in_favor_for/
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/H5ya2
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/75l6g5/could_someone_explain_to_me_what_exactly_happened/do75sm0/
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/ZsWnu
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/768fdf/i_am_pearled_from_cw_wanted_to_chestshop_for/
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/gkaJb
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/ocfvX
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/ocfvX
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/OvfXm
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/ARAe4
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/Wjmto
- ↑ https://imgur.com/a/bOJrZ
- ↑ https://imgur.com/Yt77c00
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/852jco/112_is_coming_this_week_this_is_the_final/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/8asse5/the_lexington_vault_has_been_broken/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/8b1987/the_war_is_over_post_screenshots/