Vintage Civ 1.0 History
This page is for purposes in timekeeping and looking back on Vintage Civ's 1.0 world history after 2.0 launched, supposedly being the definitive version of Vintage Civ for at least a couple years ahead of time.
For the first two days of its existence, Vintage Civ ran a test server as the admins added more plugins to the server and tested their stability in-game. Happy with their modlist, the official beta was launched on January 4, 2022, which the admins planned to run for 4-6 months or longer.
The first days of the server were marked by exploration and the foundation of the server's largest town so far: Pond Scum. Named after the ponds that attracted the founders to it for farming purposes, the town boasts an unofficial population of 10-15 residents (most of the server's early playerbase).Other early but smaller villages founded in the first week of the server include Veii (founded by the owner of the server himself) and the Shitshack Commune.
As players explored more of the map (which has a radius of at least 22k blocks), some chunks were discovered to generate large out-of-place pillars of rock and dirt. Dubbed "Cliffs of Insanity," the community as a whole voted to keep them until the end of the beta.After updating to 1.16, a bug was discovered which completely deleted entire chunks and crashed the game when trying to open some chests or clay vessels. A vote took place where players voted to either restart the map and start 1.0, or to continue the beta with all the bugs, which the admin team could not fix or did not have the time to; the vote ended with a vast majority of players voting for a server restart, kickstarting the official launch of the server to 1.0.
1.0 World History
Launching on January 13th, 2022, the 1.0 Version of Vintage Civ began.
Little events of importance happened during the first week as player groups were only beginning to establish themselves. Nations and player groups who had their origins in older servers such CivCraft and CivClassic found new homes in Vintage Civ 1.0. Many veteran Minecraft Civ players finding the differences of Vintage Story (Vintage Civ too) to Minecraft greatly altering how players aswell as towns interacted and managed resources.
Channers-Bastion conflictsA large amount of controversy and internal feuding occurred in the first couple weeks of March 2022. The main subjects of these feuds was the town of Bastion, and the town of Green Spice (or Chan Town).. What Xorberax did apparently made the Channer upset enough to shackle  Xorberax for what he did, sparking a much larger series of events. After the mechanics of shacklegear were updated in the server, Xorberax was then released from the shackle due to the Channers not being familiar with the mechanics of refueling a shacklegear after the update .
After his unintended release, he decided to threaten the town of Green Spice claiming he's going to level the entire town, or threats of a similar nature.  After the usual bickering back and forth between Chan Town, Bastion, and Xorberax, he decided to go and bomb Chan Town himself. This was in retaliation against what they did to him before and due to other more personal reasons Xorberax has against what Chan Town is known for. The bombing resulted in a huge amount of gear and loot lost. Once most of the Chan Town members logged a while after the raid, they set off to find Xorberax in his home city of Bastion.
The members from the city of Bastion took notice of the impending attack and aided Xorberax against the attackers and got the Channers that came shackled.  Immediately after Bastion understood what had happened, Xorberax was banished from Bastion to fend for himself . Green Spice was outraged that no further punishment was taken toward Xorberax, however, Bastion members were overwhelmed and tired and had had enough of all of it. A discord user by the name of MULTIPOLAR said he later secured the release to those shackled members of Green Spice and retrieved some of the stolen goods from Green Spice. Much back-and-forth ensued between Green Spice and Bastion over what to do with Xorberax.
After being threatened to be doxxed  and in hopes of the blame being put on Green Spice, sometime between March 11-13 Xorberax was basically forced to detonate ore bombs around the city of Bastion causing much damage to structures, some more than others . It has been said by a player named Jaysus273 that there was another attacker a day or two before Xorberax committed his treason on Bastion. That player being Spicy Boy (on Discord), who attacked Bastion utilizing the power of ore bombs against the city . Many players who eventually noticed this whole thing then lost motivation in living in Bastion, and for some, lost the interest in the entire server. The city of Bastion was widely considered to have ceased to exist from then on .
Throughout late March and early April 2022, the active population of Vintage Civ began to decline and reached the point where the peak player count reached only the single digits. Players have contributed this decline to a number of factors, including:
- General hype for CivMC after its Q&A on March 25, 2022 leading players to focus their attention towards it.
- A rumour that admins had been working on Vintage Civ 2.0, leaving players not wanting to give attention to the 1.0 server that might be going away soon.
- The plugins xSkills and QPtech- which allowed players to upgrade certain abilities (eg. increased health, faster block breaking, etc.) after reaching certain goals- breaking after being updated, causing those who were working towards those goals getting burned out.
- The most populous towns, Bastion and Ember Valley, which both were near spawn and very welcoming to newcomers, being abandoned after the aforementioned conflicts. Multiple small communities had sprouted up near them and began to feel unsafe without them around. Also, too, the Kingdom of Savaguard, a strong and highly militant city, had once claimed alliance with Bastion, yet failed completely to respond to Bastion under siege and fire.
- Stragglers from Green Spice raiding and griefing other towns like Kindread Clan and Ember Valley, causing their residents to quit.
- A shallow tech tree.
- Discrepancies in moderation; Some mods/admins, like SouthernBloc and Pkeod, have been generally tolerant of neo-nazi and right-wing views and users in the discord, but rules against harassment and hate speech have been implemented and enforced by other mods/admins, like SimpleBastard and KingOfTheMochas. This lead to the server being populated by far right-wing users who scared away a number of regular players and the right-wingers getting subsequently banned.
Nevertheless, the admin team continues to work on a new website and a new in-house version of xSkills.
- SouthernBloc (January 13, 2022). “Vintage Civ Players, @here As you may know, we migrated to 1.16 yesterday (Whooo), However; Some of the Map didn't make it, or its a chunk bug with 1.16. Unsure. This leaves us with 2 Solutions. 1. We reset the map, and start the true and full Vintage Civ 1.0 Iteration, upon which nothing will be changed with the exception of performance related issues, and maybe Gun mod if it updates. A starter kit will be provided, (see below) with the /starterkit command. This would happen today, prior to the weekend. The Iteration would be guaranteed to last as long as humanly possible. We have fixed performance, we have the mods people want, and we have a stable population. 2. You can play on a broken map, with bugs, and broken inventories. I don't know how else to spin it. But I am overwhelmed with fixing map issues. [...]” – via Discord (#annoucements). Vintage Civ. Retrieved January 14, 2021.
- SouthernBloc (January 14, 2021). “Community has decided. Map will be reset for 1.0.” – via Discord (#annoucements). Vintage Civ. Retrieved January 14, 2021.
- Sikandar (Multipolar) (March 11 2022) Just saying, we only wanted Xorberax who never should have been released, possibly released through an update
- Ｍ Ｕ Ｌ Ｔ Ｉ Ｐ Ｏ Ｌ Ａ Ｒ(March 13, 2022) "We had Xorborax pearled originally (assumed he got out as shacklegear was just updated) but Southern clarified that we didn't refuel his shackle right, because the mechanic is different from civcraft so he got out. He was our bargaining chip and we lost it, we were working on a treaty with Bastion as Xorberax threatened to level our town. Having lost it, Bastion stopped talking to us. Faust initiated the talks, Greenkitten our ambassador reached out to Jaysus but they never got back to us, because why should they they got their guy free."
- Ｍ Ｕ Ｌ Ｔ Ｉ Ｐ Ｏ Ｌ Ａ Ｒ(March 13 2022) "After bantering in the discord we logged on and saw that our entire town was destroyed and vault broken, and shit stolen. So we saw the guy who did it was still online and were quite pissed. Four of our guys geared up and went to Bastion to shackle him, but 3 other Bastion guys ran out and helped him and he shackled all of us."
- Sikandar (Multipolar) (March 11 2022) Our town was raided, in anger we tried to shackle the perpetrator, but more or less were lead into a trap and 4 of us were shackled. Bastion is supposedly exiling the griefer, but no real punishment.
- KindOfTheMochas (March 13 2022) He claims the channers made him do it so theyd stop doxxing him but I have no evidence of that (edited)
- TTastic (March 13 2022) Bastion was bombed by Xorb and Toe? TTastic (March 13 2022) Like recently or is this rehashed KingOfTheMochas (March 13 2022) Recently
- KingOfTheMochas (March 13 2022) "Uhhhh I think Xorb said he got trapped in a room by Faust after he asked him to come to chantown for some reason and then Xorb tried to break down the door to escape and Faust shackled him and then he went (Apeshit) and threatened to blow Chantown to smithereens and then he got freed for some reason (channers said there was some kinda deal with jay but it sounds like jay denies that) and then he ended up actually blowing it to smithereens and then channers got reasonably mad but to an unreasonable amount and doxxed (?) him and then he agreed (?) to nuke Bastion if they stopped doxxing him and so he did and now we’re all pissed at him and also each other"
- Jaysus 273 (March 11 2022) False, I was behind the city to the south, the opposite side to the main gate, when the conflict started, and I joined to defend the town when bombing was being performed and my residents attacked
- Toni (Toobke) (March 14 2022) bastion doesnt exist anymore
- Isaac (March 30, 2022). “I think the server is on life support because:” – via Discord (#general). Vintage Civ. Retrieved April 2, 2022.
- Pkoed (March 30, 2022). “Tbh good, we're building a specific genre with a specific vision and we're not going to compromise that just for emotionally stunted people who refuse to play the game and shackle the people they don't like, that's the entire point” – via Discord (#general). Vintage Civ. Retrieved April 2, 2022.
- SouthernBloc (January 13, 2022). “[Meme image containing the n-word mocking anti-racist sentiment]” – via Discord (#shit-posts-aplenty). Vintage Civ. Retrieved April 2, 2022.
- Lima Bees (March 30, 2022). “A lot of people also don't want to associate with people who use hate speech. Bad look. But that's being worked on so yanno” – via Discord (#general). Vintage Civ. Retrieved April 2, 2022.