While most plugin pages are in relatively good shape, Mechanics and Plugins is semi-focused toward CivMC mechanics. There has been discussion on how to write different pages for different servers, due to a major difference of mechanics and gameplay styles (e.g. CivReign mechanics are very different from CivMC
This will likely require some research on your part to find the particular config value for that server, especially if the server stopped many years ago. Most servers make their configs public on github repositories.
Superceded from original writeup of tasks:
Here are some really specific tasks (please remove them from here once you finish them):
- Brewery move civclassic info to separate page (probably Brewery Recipes (CivClassic))
- Kira needs documentation transcribed from maxopoly's github (https://github.com/Maxopoly/Kira/wiki/API / https://github.com/Maxopoly/Kira/wiki/Relays)
- Factory "important factories" needs a rewrite and a mention of other actually important factories (ore smelter / charcoal maker, basically everything in the basic tech tree, don't include aesthetic factories)
- HiddenOre civclassic-specific drop table needs to be moved to a separate page or converted into a tabbed table for different servers)
- Enchanting needs to be de-civclassics-ified to not reference factories or "cauldrons" so much (instead say something like "in most modern civ servers, xp is produced through special Factories, which may include multiple factory tiers which are more efficient..."). Don't reference farming/botting so heavily - that is liable to change in future civ servers.
- Elevator needs to be de-civclassics-ified: not all servers use a gold block as their elevator, and civmc uses lodestones as their elevator block. Remove minecraft elevators or only very briefly mention them; they're not part of the plugin.
- CastleGate needs documentation transcribed from https://github.com/DevotedMC/CastleGates/wiki
- ItemExchange#Relays needs documentation transcribed from the reddit post https://old.reddit.com/r/civclassics/comments/hh646y/introducing_shop_relays_using_ender_chests_to/
Update meta pages
Meta pages such as CivWiki:Editing Projects and CivWiki:Editing Guide are perhaps the most important to keep updated and clear. It must be clear how to edit a page and to what standards a page is judged.
Civcraft Wiki Importing
You'll see there are lots of pages under
CivcraftImport: or similar. These are all pages from the Civcraft wiki, originally maintained by the Maester Alliance. As the wiki is intended to document information about all these nations, we're hoping to update a good majority of them to keep them up to date to wiki standards. This is especially hard as the Civcraft wiki was written in a different format as the current CivWiki. Follow CivcraftImport:How to for more details on integrating them into the wiki.
The wiki maintains a curated list of wanted pages at CivWiki:Wanted Articles, try to find information on these to help navigational and informational efforts.
Make table containing all Civ flags. (see : Flags)
Categories need a rework. It is not always clear when a category should be applied. Category names follow the Wikipedia style of using plural names for lists of similar things (e.g. Category:Treaties), and singular for pages related to one thing (e.g. Category:Civcraft). There is not a clear criteria for 'Good Article' or any other article ranking.
Periodically check Special:UncategorizedPages for pages that lack a category. Categorizing pages is important as uncatagorized pages are likely to be hard to find and thus often ignored, regardless of the quality of their content.
Any custom formatting possible on Wikipedia is possible on CivWiki, and sometimes can be imported in only a few clicks. Templates can greatly increase ease and speed of editing, navigating and reading. If you are unsure of where to find good templates or inspiration, use Wikipedia's random good article feature.
Dynamic page list
The version of dynamic page list used by CivWiki is outdated and lacks features. This is what is used to list "★★★★★ Model pages" on the CivWiki main page. As this is essential it would be useful to find a superior alternative that allows for more precise and readable formatting.
It is worth periodically going through Maintenance special pages in order to keep the wiki clean and usable (Note: many of these lists are unhelpfully filled with CivcraftImport pages. Try to fix this if possible).
- This is filled with templates and thus not particularly useful. Try to fix it to show only wanted pages linked by users.
- Almost all pages have some related pages that they should link to or be linked to.
- Double redirects should be removed