Civ servers often change combat to pre-1.8 mechanics, make players tankier, and generally rebalance all combat-affecting items. The plugin that handles this is often Finale.
Specific changes will vary heavily from server to server. On CivClassic, the following changes to combat were implemented:
- Revert combat to pre-1.8 mechanics
- Dual wielding is enabled.
- Clicking at rate higher than 8.5 (?) CPS will decrease the overall damages dealt.
- Ender Pearls have a cooldown of 15 seconds (vs. 1s in vanilla).
- Ender Crystals do not inflict damage on the player but will still destroy surrounding blocks.
- Snowballs and eggs do no inflict damage nor knock players back but will slightly damage armor.
- Buff bows by 20%
- Enchanted golden apples turn to normal golden apples when eat attempted.
- Increases damage reduction granted by the Protection enchantment
- Nerfs the strength potion back to pre-1.5 mechanics
- tripled added damage from strength potion levels
- 30% chance projectile causes slow debuff for 100 ticks